Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Simple and Quick Healthy Breakfasts


Updated February 15, 2014


Sick of the same old cereal every morning? Check out these ideas for simple and quick healthy breakfast!
  • Hot cereal may have made you cringe as a kid, but these days there are many tasty low-fat varieties available. You'll probably find most taste better made with fat-free or low-fat milk as opposed to water. Add fruit or reduced calorie syrup to give it that extra zing. Hot cereal is perfect for winter mornings and will probably keep you feeling full a little longer than cold cereal.

  • Eggs are a great protein-rich breakfast, and contrary to popular belief, they are not diet-disaster ... their neighbors on your plate are (Banish bacon and say sayonara to sausage!). Eggs are healthiest when poached or boiled. Eggs are nutrient-rich with vitamins like B and K as well as folic acid, which is especially important to women's health.
    Concerned about heart health? A Harvard study published in the Journal of the American Medical Association in 1999 showed that eating an egg a day did not raise heart attack risk in the long-run.
  • Our visitors have also shared some great suggestions:

  • "I make my own whole meal bread, just so I know what is in it. For breakfast, I have 2 slices toasted with sardines on top. This is not only good for you, but it sustains me all the morning." - Cher

  • "One of my favorite breakfast treats is a Baker's Vegan Cookie with an apple. I usually eat half when I get to the office and the other half with an apple later. It fills me up and is delicious, low-fat, and fairly low calorie. - Michael

  • "My nutritionist, who is also a certified diabetes educator, has suggested cereal bars like Cinnamon Toast Crunch and Honey Nut Cheerios. She told me that the cream inside is made from real milk and will give you the carbs, protein and calcium diabetics (and dieters) need." - Beth
  • "I find that eating some types of cereals (Grape Nuts, Kashi GoLean, etc.) with cottage cheese instead of milk or yogurt really makes a difference. That little bit of protein gets me through a very busy morning whereas just milk or yogurt does not." - Trudi

No comments: