Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Sporting Excellence


Who do you think should win this year?

Sports Performance Bulletin
To Me
Dec 9 at 4:33 PM
The Top 15 Resistance Exercises


David Joyce
Hi everyone!
It’s been a couple of weeks since we last spoke and we’ve been quietly getting about our business down here in Western Australia. Pre-season training is long and arduous and our staff are all pulling 14 hour days to ensure all our plans are delivered and the players respond in the world class manner we all strive for.

A lot of our lads are mad keen cricket fans and so we have a telly on at lunch so we can catch a bit of the Ashes action. That’s about the extent of my TV diet at this time of year. I’m not a huge TV watcher anyway and so I don’t miss it too much, but one of the shows I never missed when I lived in England was the BBC Sports Personality of the Year Awards. It’s funny, but when I first moved to the UK I didn’t quite grasp the concept of the “Personality” component of the award, given the fact that many of the nominees (and maybe even a couple of winners) never had wonderful personalities! Nonetheless, the award really does acknowledge amazing sporting feats and this year, each nominee has done extraordinary things.
This year it’s a bit tough to pick the winner. All the nominees are at the pinnacle of world sport and so every one of them would be worthy winners. For me, it’s hard to go past Mo Farah, the World 5000 and 10000m champion. I thought he was unlucky to not win it last year.

Track running is arguably the most intense competition in individual sport and his feat of winning dual World golds and the Olympic Golds one year earlier was extraordinary and something that I hope will be acknowledged by the panel and voting public.

The main other contenders for the crown, in my opinion will be Wimbledon winner Andy Murray, Jockey Supremo AP McCoy and America’s Cup winner Sir Ben Ainslie.

The other categories are also interesting to watch. Team of the Year could go to one of Team Sky, the Women’s Team Pursuit (World Track Cycling Champions) or the British and Irish Lions. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Warren Gatland win Coach of the Year for his role at the helm of the victorious Lions squad.

Whoever the winner is, it’s always terrific viewing as we get to recap the extraordinary feats of the last year. Even just thinking about it, I’ve decided that I’ll find a way to watch the coverage online in the wee hours of the morning Perth time.
Next week, we’ll discuss that most frivolous of football competitions, the FIFA World Club Cup.

Til next week, remember to tweet me @DavidGJoyce, and stay robust amigos!

David Joyce
David is the Head of Athletic Performance at Emirates Western Force in the Southern Hemisphere’s Super Rugby Competition. He holds Masters degrees in both Sports Physiotherapy and Strength and Conditioning and lectures in Sports Physiotherapy at the University of Bath (UK) and in Exercise Science (S+C) at Edith Cowan University (Australia).



Book of the Week


This week: Kettlebell Training for Faster Running
If you think kettlebells are only for developing arm or upper-body strength, then think again. This is especially true if you’re a runner of any kind (sprinter, middle or long-distance), because kettlebell training can also be used to increase your explosive power and speed.
So forget what you see happening at your local gym. A lot of the time the kettlebell workouts you see performed aren’t just wrong, they’re actually dangerous for your health, muscles and long-term sporting performance.

But when you use kettlebells the right way, your athletic gains can and will be enormous.

Which is why - if you want to be able to run, faster and for longer and with less chance of injury - Kettlebell Training For Faster Running will be the perfect book for you. It focuses on the popular but misunderstood training routines (designed to develop speed, strength and core power) associated with Kettlebell training.

Whatever your age or athletic level, Kettlebell Training For Faster Running provides you with a wealth of cutting-edge information based on the very latest findings in sports science and sports medicine.
It uses both evidence-based knowledge and practical exercises (including illustrations, ‘how to’ diagrams and video tutorials), to help you build speed, strength and power regardless of your sporting discipline.

Click here to read more about Kettlebell Training for Faster Running

Your Local Community


I injured my calf muscle when cycling

Two weeks ago I crashed on my mountain bike causing the top-tube of my bike to swing into my left calf muscle (as I crashed and flew to the left). My left calf swelled up immediately, and since then I have been in pain. I did the RICE treatment (rest, ice, compression, elevate) and after a week, it still hurt. My leg is still pretty sore (mostly noticeable when I wake up in the morning). And still hurts when I attempt to do a little stretching.

Does anyone have a recommendation, or any tips on what I should do?

Is repetition useful in running training?
Does repetition of the same workout in running affect your performance or muscles anywhere?
I follow a routine of doing 3k and 1k almost every day on the track. Can this repetition of workout (ignoring other factors) help me gain speed or other improvements?

Any answers?


Externally twisted knee doesn't feel right - please help?

I slipped and fell awkwardly on my left knee which was twisted externally. All my weight was on the knee and I heard a pop or snap and immense pain and could not walk on it. I initially thought that I had badly sprained or partially tore the LCL as I had it happen to the other knee. However the pain has diminished to at least manageable pain. What I noticed is on the lateral side of the knee in the back it is very tender and if I try to bend or half squat it is intense pain and it feels like a catching sensation. I am really puzzled I am thinking maybe it is something with the popliteus?

Any ideas, can you offer help or advice?



Articles and Downloads

An Olympic gold medal is the pinnacle of sporting achievement; they don’t come easy (well, maybe for Usain Bolt, but he is superbly conditioned as well as talented). Any athlete who lowers their head to receive one is the epitome of peak performance. Over the years I have had the privilege to talk with many Olympic champions and in the following Seb Coe, Cathy Freeman, James Cracknell and Steve Trapmore’s comments provide unique insight into what it takes to step on to the top of the podium.
Sports psychology: the theory of the decision training model in sport
http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/sports-psychology-the-theory-of-the-decision-training-model-in-sport-42359
Effective decision making in sport is vital. Nick Grantham explores a system of coaching in sport that brings the science of how we think, or cognition, to the fore in sport preparation.

Upgrade to Peak Performance Premium


Peak Performance is the leading source of information on sports science, training and research. Upgrade now to be the first to hear of top level scientific discoveries, revolutionary training techniques and performance enhancing workouts.
Join Peak Performance Gold Today and Claim Your FREE SPECIAL REPORT: The Top 15 Resistance Exercises for Optimal Strength, Speed and Endurance.

Want More?

No comments: